Sunday, September 2, 2007

Somerset Studios Holidays and Celebrations....

I had one of my assemblage pieces published in the new publication called "Somerset Holidays and Celebrations" I am so excited to finally be able to share it with all of you! I have been holding it in for a long time:) It is scary to submit something! I just knew they were going to send it back with a thanks, but no thanks letter.
I originally submitted the piece for the Vintage Halloween call for the October Somerset Magazine, but they wrote me back and said they wanted it for the gallery section of the "Holidays and Celebrations" publication. Umm.... OK! I can tell you I was on a high for many days after that. What a thrill to see one of my pieces in my favorite publication!

Remember the little dollhouse book aging tutorial I did a long time ago? That's when I was making the piece:)
I used a photo reprint of a cabinet card photo I had purchased a long time ago. I thought she looked like a witch the minute I saw her and I knew that I would use her one day for Halloween. I was shocked when I received her to turn the photo over and find that her name was --Katie Spellman. How perfect was that!! She was meant to be a witch:) I used an old tin lithograph toy for the butterfly wings and old tintype photos for the pictures on the wall. I tried to find people who also looked witchy. I created a torn wallpaper effect for the insides of the box which is super easy and I would be glad to give a tutorial on that also. Then I altered the dollhouse books and inserted copies of 11th century runes and spells in place of the blank pages. The whole outside of the box is covered in vintage anatomy figures covered in textured red vellum. Cool! They only show the front of the box in the publication, but it sure is exciting for me! Thank you each and everyone of you who visit here and make me smile with your sweet words. You are so appreciated:) Love, Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment